Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Wild Violet Jelly

                     Eating our weeds making wonderful things



Today I am going to share a wonderful sweet treat from our backyard.

Wild violet jelly is wonderful on biscuits or even a good pb and j sandwich .

Spring in our house means a small batch canning every chance I get.

We have a lot of fruit to harvest in late summer off our bushes and vines so our weed jelly

keeps us going till then.





3 cups water 

1 cup violets 

2 tsp lemon juice 

½ cup sugar 

1 and ½  tablespoon pectin 


In a small saucepan boil water and violets for 15 mins  until the water is colored Discard boiled violets then add lemon juice and sugar simmer for 10 mins on low  then add pectin and follow the directions on the package to set it ( depending on the kind you use it could be bringing it back to a boil).  While things are boiling and simmering I prepare my jars for canning in boiling water .  Fill the jars leave a bit of head space add back to water bath for 10 to 15 mins when done turn them upside down and let cool for 12 hrs … if the lids pop eat right away if they do not and have a tight seal then they can stay in our root cellar for up to 6 months.  I do have to note violets are a bit of a laxative so do not eat the whole jar in one sitting and it is also why I make small jars of it .

Historically, violet has been used as a respiratory herb and to treat hacking cough ,It’s also used as a lymphatic tonic, to help with lymph edema and breast issues something around here we like and need so we take the laxative with the lymph node help.







                                    this is an amazing tool Daddy O found me




1 comment:

  1. I need to try some. The little ladies need to let me know how it taste 😋

    ReplyDelete